Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: model 14 sound

  1. #1
    Inactive Member stereonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2006
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Two months ago I purchased altec-14s off of e-bay,when I unpacked them and tried them I used a scott el-84 tubed integrated amp and the wide soundstage was very welcome.Later they were moved to a differant location and were set up with a 300b tube amp[9watts per side] This combination has not worked out as good [the horn seems edgy]Im thinking about crossovers,active versus a new passive unit,i seen on this site the 19s were being worked over,by todd w. does he have a super crossover for the 14 ? My next amp hook-up will be a dynaco stereo 70,maybe that will smooth things out.I know theres a few 14 owners out there ,lets get together and fix the flaws built into our less than perfect 14s,or up-grade them,how about it?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jim D's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    155
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Model 14 is on our list, but I have gotten bogged down in the 604G unit, hope to get back at it again this week. The 14 crossover, as built is extremely simple, any other better be better. It's about 4th down the list behind the G and two clandestine non-crossover projects. We do need it as we plan to build an updated 14. Jim

  3. #3
    Inactive Member stereonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2006
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    JIM,Its march 17th,any model 14 crossover info on the minds of the creators,lately?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jeenie67's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2006
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello, I own a pair of 14's and just acquired a pair of 15's. Been playing with the placement, dampning of the horns. When I went to a tube pre-amp for the tt only system...incredible! I loosely stuff a pair of nylons in the horn throat,and am thinking of spraying the outside surface of the manta horn body w/auto undercoating to help dampen it. Don't like the x-over, but this speaker is as flat as I've ever heard...and for only $300. Find that kind of sonic quality in all the digital speakers on the market today that can't reproduce anything but condensed, proccessed, limited range,brittle,hurt my ears,generic sound. I am a schooled musician with trained ears, perfect pitch and perfect rythm. I hear everything and can tell you if your playback component is off pitch. Lets correspond. Tanx, Eugene @ jeenie67.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member stereonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2006
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks Jeenie 67,Im going to try the nylon idea this weekend,unfortunatly im using cd sound,a marantz cd 63se its in the direction of sound from a cd we all expected when created.Not as smooth as albums,so the tubes have helped,Im using an ARC.sb-6,pre-amp,and will try a pair of dynaco stereo 70s with the altec-14s,the horn can get to you.I know this is a altec sight but when I PLUG in my back-up cerwin vegas they sound great,of course not as fast and articulate but,dollar for dollar if you want a sturdy,effiecent,high quality american made speaker they can sound great.Too bad best buy stopped selling them,anyway i have a couple pairs,and if I dont get the model 14s working in top shape I may have to pick-up a set of pro-cerwin vegas.We will see what develops.....by the way have you heard the sony playstation one,sounds good as a cd player ive tried it,and its not bad,the model 1001 is desirable,check it out.p.s.I seen DONALD FAGEN at the chicago theatre last week and the sound was terrible[peavy speakers]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member stereonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2006
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    model 14- I tried a stereo 70 and my arc.6 pre-amp[6-12 ax7 tubes]but my horns are still asaulting me,this is a smooth system,how do I CHECK out the internals on this manta-ray horn?What should i look for, segments? a phase plug?Is the diapragm rubber,paper,plastic,can i get parts?Or should a pro,do it? thanks for any help. stereonut

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    model 14 sound


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Probably a running change- a great deal of the 14's had the newer ceramic driver. Those were likely from just prior to Altec exiting the home stereo business.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Everything I've read said the 14 uses the 902 compression driver. And I saw NOTHING in that link that says it used the 802-8G compression driver. I will agree..they are beautiful drivers. I love them in my model 15's.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    model 14 sound


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    <BFG> That WOULD explain why the ones I've seen had 902's wouldn't it?

    I'm always careful about saying though unless I'm pretty sure. Been bitten on the *** to many times.

    Appreciate the info.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    230
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/model-14.htm


    model 14 should have 802G driver for HF according to spec sheet... among the best sounding compression drivers that altec made. Bill at GPA can provide service for the driver.

    i've never heard the 14s though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.